Segmentation fault in matcher/queryoptimiser

Robert Stepanek rsto at fastmailteam.com
Tue Aug 8 07:16:03 BST 2017

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017, at 07:13, Olly Betts wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 03:06:27PM +0200, Robert Stepanek wrote:
> > We are testing the patch to set hint to NULL currently. I'll wait this
> > week to see if we experience any crashers related to it.
>
> It's been a week - how does that patch look?

We are running it in production since Friday and haven't had any
crasher, so it's looking good! I had planned to wait until
Thursday/Friday to report back. Overall, I am highly confident that the
patch fixes it, we had at least one crash a day before.

> Setting the hint to NULL seems like it should be an
> improvement over the current situation, so we could certainly do that for
> 1.4.5 if we don't have a conclusion on which approach to take in the
> longer term.

Yes, I think setting to NULL it the simplest approach to take in the
short term. And we haven't seen any performance degradation on our
search layer since.

Cheers,
Robert