[Xapian-discuss] Flint Backend

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Jun 30 22:12:20 BST 2005

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 10:52:40PM +0200, Arjen van der Meijden wrote:
> Btw, do you have any idea when you'll be able to do this?

It'll either be in the next two weeks or not for a while, as I'm taking
a much need month off.  I'd hoped to get it done before I left, but had
concluded I wasn't going to have time.  But there's been a sudden surge
of progress with both gmane and the other project which are the two
above this on the todo list so it might still happen.

> If its a matter of days or a few weeks, I'll hold of a conversion from
> our quartz-database to flint for the time being.

Not sure what to suggest.  If I do get it done, you might want to treat
the newer stuff with a little caution initially, in which case converting to
the current state of play for the live system perhaps makes sense.  Or
keep the quartz system around for a bit to fall back on.

> Otherwise I'll probably convert our database somewhere next week since
> the current flint implementation seems to perform very well. (Unless
> there are stability issues?)

None that I'm aware of (in the current SVN HEAD that is).  The Gmane
search seems rock solid with it (though it doesn't include positional
information at present, and that's probably the most major change so
far).