[Xapian-discuss] Result Snippet Highlighting?

Peter Karman peter at peknet.com
Tue Apr 8 14:38:31 BST 2008

On 04/08/2008 04:22 AM, Gert Brinkmann wrote:
> Thank you for all the information.
>
>> For the sake of completeness, you've missed some Perl projects out there if all
>> you found was Lucene. Google for 'kinosearch' for starters.
>
> kinosearch indeed looks interesting (I did not hear about it yet).
>
> Also mentioned here
> http://marvinhumphrey.com/downloads/KinoSearch_OSCON2006.pdf
> (page 104)
>
> kinosearch will be displaced by lucy? But lucy is renamed to Zettair and
> Zettair seems not be actively developed? http://www.seg.rmit.edu.au/zettair/
>
> But kinosearch still seems to be actively developed other than mentioned
> in the pdf on page 103!?

The history of the naming is confusing. The Lucy Apache project is still called Lucy.
http://lucene.apache.org/lucy/  <-- That is what KinoSearch refers to.

The Zettair project is totally unrelated.

>> I post this every time the subject comes up so forgive me if you've seen it in
>> the archives already.
>
> No, sorry, I did not see it.
>
>> Check out http://search.cpan.org/dist/Search-Tools/ -- it
>> is IR-library independent.
>
> This does look nice, too. But lucene has one big advantage: The
> highlighted snippets are taken out of the index very fast. You do not
> have to open the original documents to generate the snippets for
> printing them out in the result list. As I understand this is the way
> the Search-Tool works.

No, Search-Tools doesn't care where your data comes from. Could be a Xapian data or value,
could be original doc, could be any text.

Here's a Perl example using Search::Xapian:
http://dev.swish-e.org/browser/libswish3/trunk/perl/xsearch.pl

--
Peter Karman  .  peter at peknet.com  .  http://peknet.com/