[Xapian-discuss] Xapian 1.0.7-3.1 (python libs) : can't find anything

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Thu Apr 23 02:24:43 BST 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 02:18:35PM +0200, Cedric Jeanneret wrote:
> Any idea why I lose index informations while rsync-ing them ?

It's just bits on disk, and after rsync has successfully completed, the
files should be identical at each end.  So my first suggestion is to
check this - the easiest way is to do:

cd /path/to/database
sha1sum * > /tmp/checksums.txt

The copy /tmp/checksums.txt to the other machine, and on the other machine:

cd /path/to/database
sha1sum -c /tmp/checksums.txt

If you don't have sha1sum, then md5sum will do.

If they don't match, then there's either a bug in rsync, or it hasn't
completed yet.

If they do, then I'm not sure.  If there machines are different,
especially if they have different architectures (e.g. x86 vs x86-64)
then perhaps we have a portability bug.  Databases are meant to be
compatible whatever platforms are used to build/read them, but there
could be an obscure bug which means they aren't always.

If the checksums don't match, try running "xapian-check" on the
copy.