[Xapian-discuss] Can be Xapian used to perform standard SQL statements?

Olly Betts olly at survex.com
Sat Dec 11 11:10:39 GMT 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 11:56:05AM +0100, David G Ortega wrote:
> In the features says
>  "You can also index data from any SQL or other RDBMS supported by the Perl
> DBI module <http://dbi.perl.org/>. That includes MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite,
> Oracle, DB2, MS SQL, LDAP, and ODBC"

This is talking about Omega - there's a "dbi2omega" Perl script included
which allows you to read data from any database which the Perl DBI module
supports and index it with scriptindex.

> I undestand that Xapian can connect to those databases throught the Perl DBI
> module. The question is can I perform regular SQL statements using xapian?
> similar than this?
>
> QString sql = "INSERT INTO table (column1) VALUES (value1)";
> Xapian::Query query = ...
>
> and do an statement.

I'm not quite sure I follow what you want to happen here.

With Xapian 1.2 you can subclass Xapian::PostingSource to filter a Xapian
search by the results of an SQL query, but you seem to be wanting to *modify*
the SQL database rather than query it.

I think you'll need to explain in more detail what you're hoping to achieve.

Cheers,
    Olly