Xapian 1.4.0 released

James Aylett james-xapian at tartarus.org
Sun Jul 24 15:16:28 BST 2016

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 07:19:43PM -0700, Kevin Duraj wrote:

> I would like to propose to change the following code while indexing a
> term that is larger than 245 characters and then crashing and aborting
> the entire index, we could rather truncate the term to 245 characters
> and continue with indexing.

Kevin -- I wonder what others are currently doing when this comes up
(or if they're just ignoring it). Another approach, which I've
mentioned on the PR, might be to auto-truncate terms earlier in the
process, using a convenience function wrapped inside a call to
`add_term()` and similar. This would allow people who find use for the
exception to continue using things that way.

Alternatively, maybe we could find a way of configuring this
behaviour. I certainly see the benefit in some situations of being
able to just fling data at an indexer and not worry over-much about
long terms, which are mostly flotsam anyway in a lot of applications.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Now is a good time to think about
things like this.

(I'm not a fan of silent truncation; it's bitten me on too many other
EIS in the past. Choosing it deliberately is of course another matter.)

  James Aylett, occasional trouble-maker
  xapian.org